Melody Fairchild will be our advice columnist for the Track Women of Oregon website. Send us questions that you would like to have Melody answer for you and other athletes.
Melody achievements include:
- First HS girl to break 10 min. for 2 miles. (9:55:00)
- Two-time Footlocker XC champion (’90,’91), current course record holder (16:40)
- Bronze Medalist, Jr. World XC Championships, 1991
- 8-time Colorado state champion and current state record holder in 3200, 1600
- NCCA All American, XC, UO Ducks
- NCAA Champion, 3000m indoors, UO Ducks, ‘96
- Two-time Olympic Trials qualifier, 10k and Marathon.
- Current: Winner, 2010, 2011, Collegiate Peaks 25 mile trail race, Colo.
- Winner, 2010 118 mile Trans Rockies Run, Colorado
- Winner, 2011 Colorado half marathon.
- Director, Melody Fairchild Running Camp for HS Girls
- Director, Boulder Landsharks K-8th Xc and track running programs
- Running Coach to Elite Colorado HS girls and adults
- Somatic Awareness Instructor
Melody New Year advice
Advice from Melody for your New Year:
dreams a reality, was enormous. However, high standards like this are what make Champions, and if you weren’t able to handle it, your SELF wouldn’t have dreamt the Dream. To fill the shoes you yourself created and handle it with grace and confidence, find an image that is inspiring and empowering and hold it in your mind to use to fortify your belief in yourself. An image symbolic of the capacity for greatness we … Continue reading
How do I prepare for a big competition?
I AM PREPARING FOR POST-SEASON XC-MEETS (NXN, FOOTLOCKER); HOW DO I STEP IT UP, MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY, SO THAT I AM AT MY BEST FOR REGIONALS, WHERE I HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO QUALIFY FOR NATIONALS?
With Footlocker and NXN races post-season, the opportunity to answer the call from your self for “something more,” is awesome. All across the country right now, hundreds of Harriers are sharpening their fitness and keeping the passion alive, for the chance to toe the line and … Continue reading
Ask Melody: How do I overcome Self-Doubt?
HOW DO I OVERCOME SELF-DOUBT?
“Doubt is too lonely a word to know, that Faith is her twin sister.” –Kahlil Gibran
“Faith: Confidence or trust; loyalty.” –dictionary.com
There are many reasons why self-doubt can encapsulate us in a room without a view, limiting our vision of what is possible for us. Usually they stem from our initial encounters with failure. As excellent athletes, we encounter immediate opportunities to be the masters of our destinies, by choosing to view failure, as Thomas Edison said, … Continue reading
Here is our first installment of ‘Ask Melody’.
SOMETIMES POST-SEASON, I FEEL “BURNED OUT.” DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW I CAN STAY MOTIVATED DURING THE OFF-SEASON, OR HOW I CAN AVOID BURN-OUT ALL TOGETHER?
So, you have experienced B.O. huh? I’m sorry, IT (not you), stinks, but the good news is, it’s totally avoidable! Runners are passionate about running, and when the Fire is gone, it is hard on your mind and heart. With each step we take, we are … Continue reading